British Airways Project: Installation & Commissioning, Heathrow Airport Block C, London
Power Testing Ltd successfully won the contract to replace the existing low voltage infrastructure with a new distribution network and also remove a high voltage system in B.A.’s Technical Block C. This complex is critical to the safe operation of British Airways as it is their engineering division’s headquarters. It houses most support engineers and senior managers as well as B.A.’s planning, development, training and technical support facilities. The ground floor contains engine workshops and a large composite/sheet metal repair and paint facility and is used for long-haul casualty maintenance. They simply could not be left without power for long periods.
Working closely with B.A. and Overbury PLC (office fitting/refurbishment), we minimised operational risks and smoothly project managed the entire operation.
- Careful planning and coordination to ensure shutdowns were kept to a minimum.
- Efficient project management involving third parties.
- Formulation of a delivery approach compatible with power outage constraints on critical circuits.
- Successful replacement of five low voltage switch-rooms to create a low voltage ring.
- Removal of a high voltage distribution network.
- Identification and mitigation of project risks.
- Full CDM (Construction – Design and Management) regulations compliance.
- Safe cable containment, pulling and installation.
- Plant movement/disposal.
- Switchgear installation and commissioning.
Excellent team, professional attitude and the project went perfectly. Power Testing are now our preferred contractor for upcoming projects.