“Delivering Value for Money”
QinetiQ manages 17 Ministry of Defence sites, providing training and critical defence test and evaluation services to the UK Armed Forces. The company is in a long-term partnership agreement (25 years) with the M.O.D. and therefore has to ensure consistent, smooth and safe operation of all facilities. QinetiQ relies on Power Testing Ltd for electricity work at one of their largest and most important weapons testing sites – The Range at Shoeburyness.
After completing several projects on the Shoeburyness site since 2014, Power Testing Ltd was awarded the LV & HV infrastructure project as principal contractor. This meant that we were responsible for all construction (design and management) requirements in 2016 including all sub-contractors and suppliers. Due to the activities being performed on the site, they were in critical need of strengthening their power network resilience. Works included laying 10 km of cable, the construction of substations and installation/commissioning of switchgear and transformers. All this had to be achieved through careful liaison and coordination with multiple stakeholders on site – defence contractors, agricultural operations, civilian residents and Challenger 2 tanks!
- Saved over 20% of project costs for the client as well as delivering the project to schedule.
- Proactively managed relationships and the needs of multiple stakeholders on site.
- Formulated a delivery approach to minimise both power outages and the use of costly temporary generators.
- Complied with all CDM regulations.
- Scheduled subcontract works and end-user liaison.
- Installed & commissioned switchgear and transformers including mounting base construction.
- Installed all high and low voltage cabling including jointing, excavation and reinstatement.
The client was delighted with the cost savings to the programme and Power Testing’s proactive attitude to problem solving throughout the contract.